Thursday, February 4, 2010

Promises, promises

How many elected officials does it take to change a light bulb?
I don't know, I'm still waiting to see just which one will figure out a zoning issue........
So I suppose we'll be sitting in the dark for a few more years.........

You know how they say that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting some change? And then they say practice makes perfect? Does that mean there is a chance that you can be perfectly insane?

Then I'm there. Yes, at least I've achieved perfection in some capacity.....see, it is possible, I'd like to thank all the little people (figuratively, not literally) who pushed so hard to get me over the edge and then some.....without you, why I'd be sane......and what fun would there be in that.............

Here's the thing......I know in the scheme of things, global, universal, hell, intergalactic, what goes on within our lives means little to nothing......but, I insist on holding onto a bit of faith in just about everything and everyone.....(hint, lunacy right there)...and I really need to believe that it's all important, it's all good, and that we all matter.......So when I find myself seeking solidarity in other ASD parents, when I find myself fighting an uphill battle over cell phone antennas in my back yard, when I find myself trying to make sense of my sons reading issues, trying to figure out just what is going on in his brain that could give me a clue as to how to best help him.....I can't help but hold onto the hope that somehow there is a purpose for everything. And within that purpose, there is promise.

That being said, as I listen to the stories my friends tell me about their older children with ASD, and what lies ahead, my heart breaks. These kids have purpose, they have promise, yet they do not have the programs or resources available to bring it out, cultivate it and help train and place them in jobs where they would be able to flourish. Where you fall on the spectrum, it seems, seals your fate.....If you want more for your child, you need to do some intense brainstorming sessions to figure out how to finance the endeavor. As long as you have an endeavor mapped out...........

And I think if our elected officials stumble and drop the ball on simple things like if a cell tower should exist in someones back yard, what will they do when asked about what they can do to create the programs, living arrangements, independence training, for some the extra schooling, the vocational training and job placement needed for this increasing growing population of ASD kids?????.............I can't sit in the dark waiting for that response. I don't think anyone can......
I have spent the first 7 years fighting to get my kid verbal and interactive enough to be somewhat connected with this world....now my focus is shifting, and I'm realizing I can't keep doing the same things and expecting different results.....
Be the change you want to see? I need a clear vision first.......nice, visions.......sign 2........

There is purpose, there is promise...Then there are the promises we make to ourselves, and the promises we make to our children....How we address the issue of just what happens to our kids after they turn 21 will determine how well we've lived up to our promises.......and if they were allowed to develop theirs.........

No comments: