Monday, November 16, 2009

Walk this way...............


November blues are brilliant, I suppose it's easier to see the sky now that most of the trees are bare, but I would have preferred the leaves hung around on their branches a bit longer, and the day follow suit. This darkening at 4 in the afternoon mentally does a number on me. I'm guessing I am not alone.

So today I had company on my walk, my husband came along with me. We really have never walked together for the sake of walking before, it has always carried a very specific purpose. Today was a treat. He walked Clementine, I walked Reeses. We looked like a commercial, with the open winding road, autumn leaves scattered about, 2 dogs on complete ends of a spectrum in every way imaginable, and a pace set more by our years than our ambitions. We are old enough to know by now that delusions of grandeur can pull middle age muscles without mercy or remorse. I like the idea of being able to spend this time with him. I find comfort in his swagger. There is comfort food, and then there is the comfort you find in a glance perfected through the years, or in a well worn smile, the raised eyebrow that starts the giggles, or the swagger that wades through the cement with a mixture of realism, synicism, sarcasm and a hidden deep seeded hope. Part of me wants to be able to do this often, make this part of a routine of sorts....but the rational side of me knows it's best to take it for what it is, a beautiful start to a day, and be grateful for it......gratitude........

So, we ended up going to the diner for lunch. Sitting in a booth, far to hard for those not blessed by the bootylicious gods as I was, we shifted through the menu. I can't help but look around and see moms sitting together laughing. There are a few groups of elder folk scattered about, a few married couples, a few friends, perhaps life long by the relaxed way they seem to just belong to each other. The noise, the collective nature of voices rising and drifting became nothing more than a humm, and I spent the morning and the afternoon with my husband, away from it all, but more connected to everything and everyone. It's been a long time since so little meant so much in respect to me as a person, as I am. For all the extra weight I carry, for all the daily battles and the pushing and the researching and the hurried painted bottles or whatever is on my to do list, today, for a few short hours, I got my break.....and it was wonderful............

No comments: