Saturday, May 8, 2010

Shout out to my Special Needs Mom's


Last year I wrote to a yahoo group I belong to, the NSASA (Nassau/Suffolk Autism Society of America) to wish all the moms a Happy Mother's Day....
I was asked by a few moms that I know to please re post it again, and while I will, this is also for every mom who raises a child with special needs...
Happy Mothers Day............



As you all know:
When your child is diagnosed, you quickly learn that everything you thought you knew, trusted, understood, needed to be redefined, rethought, reprocessed. You learn to question everything and everyone. You learn to research, to dig deep into resources that go beyond the financial, the physical, the emotional, the intellectual....

You learn to reach out to a community of parents that have been collecting information and sharing experiences that prove to be as valuable, and in most cases, more valuable than anything any professional could advise you.

Everything that you might have dreamt motherhood would be about is buried alongside everything you had imagined your childs life might be like.

Here's the thing I'm learning through it all.....

My love for my child has never needed to be redefined. With every doctor visit, every evaluation, every CSE meeting or IEP, with every therapy, treatment, program, protocol, camp, special needs extracurricular activity...with every "near" normal life experience, comes the very real experience of loving and being loved in a very unique way, in the most profound way.

Everything that I thought motherhood would look like might have been dramatically altered, but everything motherhood means has been heightened tenfold.

When your child is diagnosed you quickly learn that you have to fight for that childs right to be a child, and to be counted....

And then you realize just how much it counts when it becomes clear to you that hope too, is a complete sensory experience.

So, to all you moms who I know fight so hard for your beautiful children, enjoy your Mothers Day, I hope it's a happy one.

Your Sorority Sister,
Maribel

No comments: